WP1 will establish and maintain the required management and governance tools for SASPARM. The objectives Of WP1 are to:
- ensure the scientific and technological coordination of the project;
- establish an efficient administrative and financial management of the project;
- ensure the transparent management of open and efficient information flow, clear decision making processes, risk and conflict issues;
- promote an optimal interaction between SASPARM and other relevant European projects and initiatives, integrate cross disciplinary developments and foster cooperation.
In addition, the project coordination and management provides the communication to the
Description of work and role partners
The project coordinator, professor at NNU and director of the ESSEC (Earthquake Science and Seismic Engineering Center), will coordinate the project. The project manager (EUCENTRE staff member) will oversee the daily management of the project and support the project coordinator. The project manager will be assisted in his/her duties by an IUSS representative in order to guarantee the presence of all partners in the daily management of the project.
The duties and rights of the coordinator and the project manager are described in detail in the Consortium Agreement (CA) (described in Section 2.1 of Part B).
The project coordinator (NNU) will be responsible for the general project coordination and the scientific and technological coordination of the project, that is:
- Ensuring that the scientific and technological targets of the project and the milestones and deliverables will be accomplished according to the schedule and, if problems arise, that adequate measures are taken to fulfil the project goals;
- Concluding a CA, ensuring that it is followed, and if necessary updated, and ensuring that the project management structure as specified in the CA is set-up;
- Acting as the contact point between the consortium and the EC;
- Overseeing the project coordination with other related European and global scientific and Technological initiatives as well as the dissemination of project accomplishments to relevant policy makers, interest groups and public in general;
- Administering the Community financial contribution and its distribution between beneficiaries;
- Verifying the consistency of the reports with the projects objectives and transmitting them to the Commission;
- Reporting to the Commission on financial and project progress as required in the agreement with the Commission.
The project manager (EUCENTRE) will support the coordinator and be responsible for the day-to-day management of the project with the assistance of the Project Office. The project manager will be responsible for:
- Setting up, operating and maintaining the management as agreed between the beneficiaries of the project in the CA, a project web inter/intranet for the basic project information flow and the Project Office;
- Supporting the coordinator in preparing the periodic project reports, milestone and deliverable preparations, and overseeing the organisation of project meetings;
- Fostering and overseeing communications and interaction between participants, work package leaders, Management Committee, Project Office and Advisory Board;
- Supporting the coordinator in SASPARM project coordination with other relevant international projects and initiatives.
The project management structure is specified within Section 2.1 of Part B.
During this WP1, special attention will be devoted to promoting the coordination and integration with relevant on-going FP7 projects in related disciplines. This coordination will be realised through a number of actions:
- Optimizing cross project information flow; announcing relevant workshops and meetings of the other projects through the SASPARM information channels; forward relevant publications, etc.;
- Facilitating and organising timely project coordination meetings;
- Promoting relevant presentations of respective projects at each other’s meetings, where appropriate;
- Promoting and facilitating innovative cross project fertilisation actions; inviting special contributions, promoting and distributing targeted project information, co-organise a few coordinated cross project targeted workshops;
- Promoting and initialising small targeted and innovative project proposals (national, European scale and international projects, etc) combining cross disciplinary ideas into a demonstration item.
The WP1 will collaborate closely with WP5 – Networking and dissemination – and WP6 – Exploitation of the project results.